Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Summer Wreath

With Easter done and the decorations down, I needed something to hang on my front door. I wanted something with bright colors that would work until time to start putting out harvest deco in late September. After looking at door wreath ideas at Paper Wings and A Glimpse Inside, I tweaked their ideas and combined them to make a wreath all my own.
First, I headed to my local D.I. (kind of a Goodwill type store) to find a frame I liked. Then I searched all over town for a wooden S. Let me tell you, not easy to find. Had to wait a week for JoAnn's to get some in. Meanwhile, I found some small wooden letters that I thought would be nice for a 'welcome' sign on the wreath.
I also got some yarn on sale at JoAnn's and rounded up paint that I had laying around the house and got started. First I sanded and painted all the wooden pieces, using a spare pizza box to protect my carpet.
Then I wrapped yarn around the edges of the frame, attached the S and hot glued on my 'welcome'.
Then I added silk flowers for some color.
While I used mostly blues, greens & yellows, I decided to throw in pinks and purples with the flowers to reflect all the little girls living in the house. I am happy with how it turned out. It did rattle a lot on the door when I first hung it up and I was afraid it was going to fall off. My dear hubby suggested gluing some magnets on the back (we have a metal door) and that did the trick to give it the stability I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment