Saturday, June 9, 2012

Patriotic Yarn Wreath

So, I had been seeing a lot of yarn wreaths on Pinterest, and decided to give one a try. I wanted a patriotic one for the summer and saw this one at Naptime Crafts. Here is my version, inspired by hers.

I started with a floral wreath that I got from Wal-mart. The main reason I went with this was because I got it on clearance for $1.50. I think the straw wreath probably would have been easier to work with, but I like the different shape this floral wreath gave the finished product. I measured the diameter of the wreath and marked out where I wanted my red and white stripes.

Then I started wrapping the yarn. I didn't want to cut the yarn with every new stripe, so instead I kept the red and white yarn balls attached and would loop them around each other as I started a new stripe. I would do a rough pass, just to mark out the edges of the stripe. Then I would do three slow passes with the yarn. First pas make sure I covered all spots of the inner side of the wreath, second pass covered all bare spots of the front side of the wreath, and the last pass to cover any remaining bare spots on all sides.

Next, I added the loop to hand the wreath with. I used some of the blue yarn and tied a large loop. Then I wrapped it around the top of the wreath and l made a slip knot. I put some hot glue under the knot, after it was tightened, to keep it from sliding.

Finally, I painted an assortment of wooden stars white and hot glued them to the blue portion of the wreath.

After it was dried, I hung up the final product!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't reply sooner! For some reason, I wasn't getting the notifications for comments.

    It didn't take very much. I bought your avg. size packages, one for each color, then rolled them into balls (pictured). The balls shrunk by maybe a quarter in size. I still have tons left for other projects.

    ReplyDelete